KEY COURSE HIGHLIGHTS
This course will give you confidence and knowledge about all aspects of Advance Care Planning- including medical, legal and psychosocial aspects. Whether you want to help your clients prepare an Advance Care Plan or just provide them with the tools to create it themselves – you will understand what an Advance Care Plan is, what it involves and why it is so necessary that they have one.
For You and Your Clients
Advance Care Planning to benefit you, your organisation, staff and clients.
Financial Planners Association
CPD 3.5 Hours
Guided online modules. Online or downloadable handbooks.
What does the course include?
Module 1 - The Basics of Advance Care Planning
- What is an Advance Care Plan?
- When is an Advance Care Plan used?
- What difference does it make?
- Can they be negated or challenged by anyone?
- Who should create one?
- How do you choose a Substitute Decision Maker?
- How often does it need to be updated?
- Who should you share your Advance Care Plan with?
- What About Enduring Guardians, Health proxies and Lawyers?
- Who should start the conversation about an Advance Care Plan?
Module 2 - Legal Considerations
- Statutory Vs Common Law Advance Care Plans.
- Understanding Power of Attorney.
- POA versus EPOA.
- Enduring Power of Attorney for Health Matters, or Enduring Guardianship.
- Challenging an ACP.
5.1 When might someone challenge an ACP?
5.2 What happens if someone challenges an ACP?
5.3 How best to avoid or discourage someone from challenging an ACP?
Module 3 - Substitute Decision Maker (SDM)
- How do I choose a Substitute Decision Maker?
- Who should I choose as my Substitute Decision Maker?
- Can I appoint more than one Substitute Decision Maker?
- Why would I appoint more than one Substitute Decision Maker?
- When do I choose a Substitute Decision Maker?
- What is the role of a Substitute Decision Maker?
- Keeping them in the loop.
Module 4 - Medical Considerations
- When is an Advance Care Plan used?
- Do I have decision-making capacity? When might I lose it?
- What happens in an Emergency?
- How does a hospital know about someone’s Advance Care Plan?
- The Value of going Digital.
- How comorbidities increase the need for an Advance Care Plan?
- Life-sustaining Treatments.
- Withholding or Withdrawing Treatment.
- Understanding Palliative Care.
Module 5 - Starting the Conversation
- Roles and Opportunities.
- Getting the Ball Rolling.
- Barriers to Talking.
- Avoiding Conflict.
- Breaking the Ice.
- Explaining What Matters Most.
- The Importance of Silence when listening.
Module 6 - Understanding the Need for an Advance Care Plan
- An Ageing Population.
- Understanding the Benefits for your Clients.
- Common Law and Statutory Law for Advance Care Plans in Detail.
- Consent and medical treatment.
- Auditing Existing Clients.
Module 7 - Conversations with Clients
- Advance Care Planning for New Clients.
- Advance Care Planning with Existing Clients.
- Barriers to Discussions around Advance Care Planning.
- Conversations about Advance Care Planning with clients.
- Updating a client’s Advance Care Plan.
- Documenting discussions about Advance Care Plans.
Module 8 - Understanding the Need for an Advance Care Plan
- Best Practice tips for handling Advance Care Plans.
- Confusion / Grey Areas.
- In an Emergency.
- Communicating with a Substitute Decision Maker.
- When to review an Advance Care Plan.
- When to enact an Advance Care Plan.
Three (3) hours in total but can be completed at your own pace
What others say about the course
I am a financial advisor and offer my clients a complete service based on their individual needs and aspirations. With my understanding of advance care plans I can now offer a complete aged care and estate planning service.
----Colin Patrick -----